Can I ride my ATV/UTV/Snowmobile on the street?

City Ordinance permits ATVs/UTVs/Snowmobiles to operate on City of Okoboji streets. However, the operation of ATVs/UTVs/Snowmobiles is not permissible on Highway 71. See Chapter 75 of the City of Okoboji Municipal Code.

The permissible Highway 71 crossing points in the City of Okoboji are at the intersection of Lake Shore Drive and Highway 71 and at the intersection Brooks Lane North (aka 175th Street) and Highway 71.

PLEASE NOTE this varies by municipality– there are eight different jurisdictions in the Iowa Great Lakes (Okoboji, Arnolds Park, Spirit Lake, Orleans, Milford, Wahpeton, West Okoboji, and Dickinson County) each with it’s own rules and regulations. If you are not in the City of Okoboji, it is encouraged to check your local regulations.

Can I ride my ATV/UTV/Snowmobile on the trail system?

Snowmobiles are allowed on designated segments of the Dickinson County Spine Trail during the winter months only. ATVs/UTVs are NOT allowed on any part of the trail system. It is not permissible to ride on the trestle bridge between the Cities of Okoboji and Arnolds Park. More info –> and

Do I need a State of Iowa User permit for my snowmobile and/or ATV? 

The simple answer is Yes! – IOWA RESIDENTS: all snowmobiles must have a user permit, yet OHV’s are not required to and proof of insurance required on all vehicles.

NON RESIDENTS: all snowmobiles and OHV’s must have user permits & proof of insurance required. User permits can be purchased at the Dickinson County Recorder’s Office in the Courthouse on the corner of Hill Avenue & Hwys 9/71 and anywhere hunting & fishing licenses are sold. (Oak Hill Outdoor, Stan’s Bait & Tackle, Kabele’s Trading Post, Okoboji Boat Works, Fisherman’s Factory Outlet, Walmart, and more!)

For permit information, please visit and for trails information, visit

The City of Okoboji does not specifically require municipal permits.

No ice is 100% safe. Be aware of ice conditions.

For more Winter Games information, please visit